The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater Actual rating: 3.5

I liked this book. It was really well written and the use of metaphors was excellent, a bit over done, but excellent.

So I just don't know why I didn't love it. Don't get me wrong, I hated Shiver like no tomorrow, so this blew me away. Maggie Stiefvater has come a long way since that weird bestiality book.

The star of the book was hands down Gansey, who was probably one of the best YA male leads I've read in...ever. Blue was the main protagonist, but honestly, I was only really interested in her interactions with Gansey. Ronan was my second favorite, probably followed by Persephone. It's not just her name either. She's BAMF with what little screen time she gets. Calla too.

The language was gorgeous, almost enough to make me stop reading completely and appreciate it. There were a few times that I thought the metaphors got a bit too much. At one point I wanted to just be told something. But the metaphors I think worked in favor of the book. It made a misty and intangible thing that you couldn't grab onto. But they were distracting at times.

But there's a lot of plot points that I am wondering why they were there. At some points, they were hard to keep track of, especially in the beginning. A lot came around to make sense, but some are left for the sequel.

And that's why this rating went from a four point five to a three point five. One whole star. The ending.

The ending.

Why, oh why, the ending?

Maybe it's because I didn't realize this was a series. Maybe it was because the ending could have been wrapped up so prettily, but it wasn't. And it was so close! It felt like I was robbed for a cliffhanger. I really love cliffhangers, I'm a masochist like that, but this one felt rushed and cheap. I'm already going to read the next book because of the characters, why do you have to steal a decent ending away from us?

Also, I'm probably in the WHOA minority, but I disliked Adam's ending. A lot.

All in all, it's a good book. A really good book. A great book with all the awful stuff in YA lately. Definitely read it, I think a lot of people will love this book. The reviews clearly say they do. Also, read it to see how far an author can come.