Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead This was a meh book. It was an easy, fast read. There wasn't anything spectacular about it, but I just couldn't get behind it.

The main character did talk a lot about her looks, but it didn't grate on my nerves. I suppose it was just the system, this system of over-protectiveness that the dhampir had just made me roll my eyes. Seriously, if you can use magic, then fucking use magic. I don't care if the Earth gave it to you, or whatever. The Earth routinely kills things via hurricane, earthquake, tsunami, etc. If the Earth does it, why not you?

Also, the love didn't spark for me. Dimitri (Is that his name? I already forget) didn't have any character at all. So I couldn't get the romance aspect of it. I wish Dimitri was better described because he was so close to being awesome, but he just didn't get explored too well.

Also, the main character was petty as hell. Just because you don't like your best friend's boyfriend does NOT mean you can lie to him. It seemed random and stupid, like the author needed conflict. Besides, aren't your tastes questionable when you start crushing on your teacher?

The writing was decent, there weren't too many times I was scratching my head. But I would have liked this book a lot more if the characters were delved into a lot better.