Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout So, once upon a time, I used to be one of those people who NEVER left a book unfinished. Ever. Never. Ever. Ever.

Then I started reading Young Adult.

More importantly, Young Adult became very very popular. Which means it's saturated with books with rehashed plot lines, rehashed characters, and eye roll worthy craft.

Obsidian sits on my DNF shelf for all of the above reasons. I'm not going to lie, this has a lot of similarities to Twilight. But most books do, not on purpose, but because Twilight uses so many clich├ęs that it's hard not to be like Twilight in some cases. So I hate using the comparison.

But.....

It's kind of hard not to in this case.

That's not what drags this book down to one star though. Because again, I'm a reader of Young Adult. If you're not Laini Taylor, I'm not expecting gold. Unfortunately, I've lowered my expectations.

What drove this book down to one star was the dialogue. The inane, eye roll worthy dialogue.

Because it took me a week to read three pages where the dialogue is such a blatant info-dump and so contrived. I couldn't. I just...I just couldn't. I would read a line, sigh, and close the book.

Rinse. Repeat.

One week. Three pages.

Granted, this is no Sweet Evil. This is no Halo. This is far better written, but it's not that hard to be better than those two. But I don't get the high ratings. A lot of reviewers, people whose opinions I take into high regard, loved this book.

And maybe it gets better after those three pages that are about half-way in. But I've got The Raven Boys and The Diviners on my library waiting list. And at this pace, it would take me a year to finish Obsidian.

It also doesn't help that I found the alien thing a bit silly. I couldn't suspend my disbelief about the columns of light that they were. I remember scratching my head a few times during the explanation of what the aliens were.

So it sits upon my DNF shelf, and it'll stay there until I run out of books to read.